Featured Recipe This Month: https://cookingmatters.org/recipes/fruit-tarts
- 6 slices whole wheat sandwich bread
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 11/2 Tablespoons skim milk
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups cut-up fresh fruit
1. Remove cream cheese from refrigerator and allow to warm to room temperature on counter top.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F.
3. Slice crust off bread. Flatten with a rolling pin or the bottom of a heavy skillet to about 1/8-inch thick. Place on a baking sheet and bake until crisp, about 10 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes.
4. While the bread is baking, in a small bowl, mix together cream cheese and milk with a fork until smooth. Stir in honey and vanilla.
5. Spread a generous Tablespoon of cream cheese mixture on each piece of cooled bread. Arrange about 1/3 cup of fruit on top of each tart.